For fans of horror, I bear exciting news! A virtual reality video game based on the Paranormal Activity movies is coming to theaters as a free HTC Vive demo. The Vive is HTC’s virtual reality headset, and the cool thing is that they’re partnering with Steam to make it. Moviegoers will be able to play the first-person survival horror demo when they pay to see the newest Paranormal Activity movie, which opens October 22nd. Paramount Pictures, HTC, Valve, Epic Games, and Nvidia will all sponsor the event at select AMC theaters from the 22nd through the 24th. The game is set to come out in 2016 on the HTC Vive, Playstation VR, and Oculus Rift. Non-VR versions will be made available on Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
Personally, I love anything horror, and while this movie franchise has become stale, I’m excited to see what they can do with the capabilities of virtual reality. Horror games + virtual reality = the ultimate immersive experience, right? I’m a huge fan of the first three movies in the franchise, and if the game is anything like those, then I’m sure fans of horror are in for a treat. The one thing that concerns me, though, is that it looks like another clone of titles like PT and Allison Road, which gamers have seen a lot more of recently. I hope something fresh is being offered with this title, and all we can do is hope it’s nothing like the more recent Paranormal Activity movies (which rely on cheesy jump scares and lack interesting characters). If the demo is being offered at a location near you, I recommend trying it out if you like horror! I know I’m going to be taking part in it! I mean, who doesn’t like to be scared out of your mind (quite literally with virtual reality)?
Here’s a list of all the theaters the demo will be offered at:
- AMC Loews White Marsh 16 – Baltimore, MD
- AMC Neshaminy 24 – Bensalem, PA
- AMC Loews Boston Common 19 – Boston, MA
- AMC Century City 15 – Century City, CA
- AMC Bay Street 16 – Emeryville, CA
- AMC Town Square 18 – Las Vegas, NV
- AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16 – Lynnwood, WA
- AMC Tysons Corner 16 – McLean, VA
- AMC Mesquite 30 with Dine-In Theatres – Mesquite, TX
- AMC Empire 25 – New York, NY
- AMC Orange 30 – Orange, CA
- AMC Mission Valley 20 – San Diego, CA
- AMC Metreon 16 – San Francisco, CA
- AMC Mercado 20 – Santa Clara, CA
- AMC Universal CityWalk 19 – Universal City, CA
So what do you guys think? Do you think this is gonna be an original horror game? Are you going to an AMC near you to try the demo? Let me know in the comments below!