Konami’s relationship with Hideo Kojima seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Konami has officially announced the cancellation of Silent Hills, the much-anticipated collaboration between Kojima and horror director Guillermo del Toro.
The last time TSG discussed Kojima’s whereabouts the Kojima Studios logo had been removed from all promotional material dealing with Silent Hills, as well as the playable trailer P.T. in a scrubbing similar to advertisements and promotional material for the upcoming release of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.
On April 25 during a panel at the San Francisco International Film Festival, del Toro was asked about the upcoming release and whether it was still happening. A student in attendance tweeted a portion of the director’s response that said “[Silent Hills] is not gonna happen, and that breaks my greasy heart” (The original tweet can be found here). Sources close to the director later confirmed to IGN that del Toro did in fact respond with this and that the project was officially cancelled. Sources did not comment on the greasiness of del Toro’s heart, but that’s another matter entirely.
The next day Norman Reedus expressed on Twitter his disappointment about the cancellation of the game. Reedus replied to an article discussing del Toro’s comments and said that he was “Super bummed” about the game’s fate.
Two days later Konami issued a statement saying that:
“Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic Silent Hills project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.
In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.”
The official cancellation of Silent Hills seems to be the latest result of the fallout between Kojima and Konami. In addition to the game’s cancellation P.T. at the time of this writing the now-infamous playable trailer P.T. is also scheduled to be pulled from the Playstation Store on April 29.
If discussions are actually underway for the participation of Kojima or del Toro they don’t seem to be going particularly well.