On Friday morning, Nintendo debunked theories surrounding the release of Pokemon Ebony/Ivory, Paper/Plastic, and Mitosis/Miosis by officially announcing the release of Pokemon Sun/Moon. They did so with a short, Nintendo Direct announcement that contained 6 seconds of concept art. Now a normal fan would come upon this concept art, mutter “Huh. Neat,” and continue to scroll through Donald Drumpf memes on Facebook. But, lucky for us, our friends at GameXplain are not normal fans. So for our viewing pleasure, they have analyzed the 6 seconds of concept art and created a 9.5 minute-long video about it. Check it out below!
Hopefully you’ve given these guys a well-deserved view for all their hard work and nearly endless conjecture, but, if you’re in a time crunch because you’re late to work but craving the juicy details of a much-needed TSG article before you change the world, I’ll list what stood out to me from the GameXplain video:
- There are First Generation Pokemon in the Trailer! It is possible that they didn’t want to give any of the new Pokemon designs away in the trailer (knowing that detail-oriented wackos like GameXplain would catch it) and only used the first 151 as stand-ins, but the thought of having access to classic champs like Gyrados, Machamp, or Blastoise is enough to make me swoon.
- Pokemon Sun and Moon May Take Place in PokeSingapore This honestly seemed a little more far-fetched to me. The building does resemble the Singaporean hotel, but not to an “uncanny” extent, so if that’s the only proof they have so far, I don’t buy it. However, the possibility of the next Pokemon game taking place in a Southeast Asian-inspired setting is an interesting prospect.
- They See Me Rollin’ Wit’ Shaymin Vehicles could be an interesting mechanic. How nice would it be to give those weary legs a break from a bike in exchange for a combustion engine? Not to mention the other prospects such as a mobile Pokemon Center or a Blastoise who works as a public servant.
- Neighboring Countries One of the best endings in all video game history occurs when you beat the Elite Four in Pokemon Gold and Silver, simply because the game tricks you and says, “Just kidding. You thought this was over, but it isn’t. Remember how cool Kanto was? Well, you were RIGHT NEXT DOOR THE WHOLE TIME! Go beat all the gym leaders!” If Pokemon Sun and Moon utilized the ability to travel to another Pokemon country like Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn, that would be incredible. However, since the very recent release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire I personally find it unlikely to revisit Hoenn any time soon.
- The Only Pokemon Revealed So Far Isn’t Completely Stupid After being betrayed by washing machine Pokemon, ice cream cone Pokemon, and whatever the heck Scrafty is, I’ve come to worry that Game Freak is running out of ideas. I mean, one of Gen VI’s Pokemon is born as a literal sword and evolves into two swords. But the little woodpecker Pokemon is good. We don’t really have a woodpecker Pokemon and its design seems solid so far. In any case, I bet you $20 that its name will be a pun of the word “peck.”
Pokemon Sun and Moon is set to release this holiday season. Right now, you can already pre-order Sun and Moon at Amazon, Gamestop, and Best Buy.
So what do you think about all this, reader? Please share your theories, comments, questions, concerns, family recipes, and fire safety pamphlets in the comment section below! And don’t forget to stop by Top Shelf Gaming for brand new articles every week.