Published on January 12th, 2017 | by Evan Maier-Zucchino4
Nintendo Switch launches March 3 with Legend of Zelda
Nintendo first made murmurs about their upcoming console, codenamed NX, halfway through the Wii U’s life cycle. Years later, Nintendo unveiled the console during a worldwide live stream of the trailer back in October. The trailer for the new console, officially named the Nintendo Switch, is now the company’s most viewed video on their YouTube channel.
While the first look at the Switch intrigued millions and was received positively, the ambiguous trailer raised many questions which Nintendo promised to answer at a later date. That day has finally come and we now know just about everything we need to about the Switch including its price, release date, and launch lineup. Check out all the details below and scroll to the bottom to watch the full presentation yourself.
Official worldwide release date March 3rd, 2017
- Console retail price: $299.99
- Separate Joy-Con controllers will be sold for $49.99 each or a bundle of 2 for $79.99.
- Pro Controller will be sold for $69.99.
- Charging dock set: $89.99
- Joy-Con charging handle: $29.99
- Online Services – Online multiplayer gaming; interactions with friends including chat and game scheduling; services will be free for a period of time after launch and will then become paid in the Fall of 2017.
- Nintendo Switch games will not be region locked.
- Set-up Options: TV mode, tabletop mode, tablet mode, and separate controller mode
- Off-TV play confirmed.
- Tablet battery life will be between 2.5-6.5 hours. Can play while charging system and batteries.
- The console will have built-in Wi-Fi
- Multiple Switch consoles will be able to connect together for local multiplayer.
- Joy-Con controllers: each has an analog stick that can be pressed as a button, face and shoulder buttons. There will be a capture button for taking screenshots and, in the future, video which you can share with friends over social media. Motion sensors in each joy con will allow for motion controls. Different colors of joy con available with console purchase: red and blue confirmed. HD rumble provides a realistic sense of touch and vibration while using the joy con controllers.
Confirmed software for launch:
- 1-2 Switch – collection of mini games focusing on using the joy con’s features that promote “face to face” interaction
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (along with a beautiful trailer)
- Arms: Fighting sport game utilizing the motion features of the joy con – Spring 2017
- Dragon Quest 10 and 11 to be released in Japan
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2
- New FIFA game – Holiday 2017
- Fire Emblem Warriors – Holiday 2017
- Octopath Traveler: New RPG from Square Enix
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Splatoon 2 – Summer 2017
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Super Mario Odyssey – “Sandbox” style Mario game a la Mario 64 and Sunshine. Mario will be leaving the Mushroom Kingdom at times to explore real world. – Holiday 2017
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- New game featuring Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes series
- According to Nintendo there are “80 games currently in development” for the Nintendo Switch.
- What you get in the box: Switch console, 2 Joy-Con controllers, Joy-Con docking grip, Joy-Con straps, HDMI cable, AC adapter, console dock
- Pro controller will be sold separately
- Neon red/blue Joy-Con alternatives to standard grey color scheme.
Check out a replay of the full livestream here.